Thursday, 5 September 2013

The Cultural divide: Where perceptions rule the roost.

Many people tell you that the four years spent in an engineering college are the best of a person’s life. The social networking forums are filled with people who pine to relive their college days. These days are the ones which build your character and thought process. Accepted. But, what if the defining moment of your life came the day you left home for college?

The journey to Jharkhand from Bangalore was my first sojourn past the Vindhya Mountain Ranges (Yes. I visited a foreign country but have never ventured outside the southern states of India). When relatives and friends heard that the college I planned to go was in Jharkhand, there were cries of shock and dismay. How can you go to a ‘naxalite-infested land’ was their question. One of my father’s friend told me that people from north were not  cordial  to south-Indians  and  that I would face discrimination wherever I would go. However, I had to weigh the best options I had and finally made the journey to my college in Ranchi. Coming to college was an one-of-it’s kind of experience. The sheer number of people who had come to join the place was mind-boggling. The hostel was bursting with activity.  People were getting acquainted with each other .I made a few friends on the first day (people from different places) and attended a meeting called by the south-Indian guys in my batch. There were people who were relaying instructions from the south-Indian seniors saying that everyone speaking a particular language had to stay in a group. Though it struck me as  something that was odd, It was in conjunction with what people told me before I joined the place and I did not give much thought about it.

However,two incidents had an impact on me.

The first incident that made a mark on my mind happened during the workshop class which is a basic course that teaches you as to how the different industrial processes of making materials work. While I was roaming about the place aimlessly (It is the most boring course that a student can take. More on that on some other day) a classmate came to me and asked a question in Hindi about the journals to be maintained. Being pre-occupied with some random thoughts ,I missed his question and asked him to repeat it by saying ‘pardon me’. He mumbled ‘Oh! South Indian’ and walked away. I was rooted to the spot. Which person just walks away from you just because you are from another part of the country? Though disappointed, I continued to just walk around and converse with the others present. At the end of the day the same person walks up to me and asks me about my native place. On receiving the answer, he told me that I don’t look like a south Indian because I was of wheatish complexion and that all south Indians were dark. This was again an off the mark  statement for me. What was I supposed to think of.  And all south Indians are dark? From where do people get their knowledge from?

The second incident happened in the hostel mess when I was sitting along with some friends of mine. We were discussing about some political developments when a guy who was interested about it joined in. After half-an-hour or something he told me that I was the only south Indian he had felt comfortable talking  to. He narrated an experience wherein a guy from south asked him if he kept guns at his house because he was from Bihar. That question appeared ridiculous to me. As bad as the ‘all south Indians are dark’ comment.

 However, on that day something profound hit me. We have always let our perceptions define us. We have learnt to judge a book by it’s cover. Man always has a pre-conceived notion about everything under the sky. Not stopping at that, we have progressed to the level of judging people on the basis of our perceptions. This the sole reason as to why my friends and family did not want me to go to the north, why my classmate walked away and made some racist comments and why some guy had the question about people from Bihar. Any south-Indian guy is stereotyped to a person with oiled and combed hair with a fetish for lungis and an adulation for Rajinikanth (For the record ,he’s an amazing actor).Likewise, any guy from the north is said to have loose moral values and and  is usually an uncouth and obnoxious person. The movies and entertainment industry takes these things to a whole new level. I don’t intend to make cinemas a soft target here, but a recent Bollywood “Block-buster Hit” movie made me cringe in my seat. All the fake Tamilian accents, poor imitation of mannerisms , dress styles ( Tamilian people shown with  the ethnic dress of Kerala? Please get your act right,  Mr. Director!).Similarly, I have seen south-Indian movies  use  sentences such as  ”Bundle this guy to Bihar” ,”People from Jharkhand will come by the morning train, finish the target and go back by the evening one” and many others which are de-meaning and foolish. This attitude that we have towards other cultures must change.

On a personal level, I think that we must learn to enjoy the differences among us. I’ve had fantastic conversations with friends wherein we try to correct each other’s way of speaking. They tell me that a kitchen stove should be pronounced as ‘Stoov’ and not ‘ Stav’ as I do it. Another example is that of cucumber. I pronounce it as ‘kukumber’ and they call it ‘Q-cumber’. This has lead to some hilarious conversations which ended up in debating about the nuances of English grammar, the difference between the American and British English and about the logical fallacy of the Oxford dictionary. If you pronounce a word wrong, you are speaking the other version of English. Simple things such as ‘curry’ mean different things to us. For me, a ‘curry’ is something that has either  vegetables or gravy. They refer to a cooked vegetable with no gravy at all as ‘curry’. I mentally visualize India as North India and South India. Anything other than the four southern states are northern states. People corrected it and told me  that there is something called East and West also. According to me the lunch buffet is pronounced as ‘baffe’ whereas they call it ‘buffe’.The list is endless.

The fact that so many different ways of speaking and dialects exists  is a testament to the diversity of our country. We must learn to shun stereotypes  and embrace one other’s practices. Cultural differences should not play a role in the development of relationships. Every basket has it’s own rotten eggs. If I had really sulked at the way my classmate had behaved with me  at the start ,I would have missed an opportunity to interact with wonderful people. They might not be from the same place that I come from but it does not take away the sheer joy and pleasure that I derive by interacting with them.Today,I move with an eclectic mixture of people who will stand by me when I am in trouble-Maharashtrians, Bengalis, Biharis, Jharkandites  and Delhites-oops! I should address them as Indians. Instead of retreating into our own shells by only interacting with people who speak the same language let us be more accommodating and celebrate our differences!

Jai Hind!






No comments:

Post a Comment